We all love chocolate and homemade chocolate spread is no exception. And with it being World Nutella Day this name brand (and their sustainable palm oil policy) is bound to be the word on everyone’s lips…..but also a worry on the hips if you are watching your sugar intake.
So, to make sure everyone can enjoy this international day of chocolate spread appreciation we’ve scoured the internet to bring you our top 3 homemade recipes, each one is healthy, extra tasty and exceptionally easy to make They can even be vegan. Enjoy!
VEGAN COCONUT CHOCOLATE SPREAD – Nest and Glow
This Coco Cacao Vegan Chocolate Spread is a cinch to make and it’s diabetic friendly thanks to the coconut content, so you won’t get hit by any blood sugar spikes!
* 1 can Coconut Milk, not low-fat (400ml / 15 fl oz)
*4 tbsp Cacao/Cocoa Powder
*4 tbsp Coconut Sugar
*1 tsp Vanilla
1. Transfer all ingredients to a blender and whiz for approximately 1-2 mins, or until everything is mixed and nicely broken up.
2. Chill for a few hours in the fridge and then voila! it’s ready.
3. Keep in the fridge and use within a week (won’t be a problem if you are like us and would put this on just about anything)
4. Use coconut milk that doesn’t have added stabilisers as they will prevent it from setting.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SPREAD – Wellness Mama
This ‘no-tella’ recipe will have your kids fooled and they’ll probably love it more than the original!
*2 cups hazelnuts
*1/3 cup or to taste sugar / preferred sweetener
*1/4 cup cocoa powder
*1 tbsp coconut oil
*1 tsp vanilla
*1/8 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 375° F / 190° C. Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until fragrant.
2. Carefully transfer the hot nuts to a mason jar with the lid on and shake. This will loosen the papery skins so they fall off.
3. Remove skinless nuts and transfer to a food processor
4. Grind the hazelnuts for approximately 5 minutes or until they turn into a creamy hazelnut butter.
5. Add the sugar / sweetener, cocoa powder, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt.
6. Blend for another minute until all the ingredients are combined smooth.
7. Transfer to a pint mason jar.
8. Store in the refrigerator for several weeks.
LOW CARB, SUGAR FREE SPREAD – Ditch The Carbs
Not only is this recipe sugar free, it also doesn’t have hazelnuts, so if you’re not a fan of the nutty taste of Nutella then this milk chocolate spread dupe is the one for you!
*150 g walnut halves
*4 tbsp cocoa unsweetened
*1 tsp vanilla
*4 tbsp coconut oil
*4 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice or more, to your taste
Place all the ingredients in a blender
Blitz through until smooth.
No need to melt the coconut oil as the warmth from the blender will do the trick
Store in the fridge for a firm spread, or store in the cupboard in an airtight container for an easy spread.
If you have any other tips or comments on this blog please do let us know below
Want to read more about more tips for yummy sustainable food and drink? Read our Guide to Ethical, Low Sugar Drinks
Want all the latest from Sustainable Vibes? Share this post with your friends and family and follow us on Instagram.
Thanks for reading!
Want to read more about more tips for yummy sustainable food and drink? Read our recipes for homemade bread without a bread maker.